Tuesday, May 13, 2008

USS Tarrawa

Monday morning a small group of just from Jane Franklin enjoyed a VIP tour on board the USS Tarrawa. Just as we boarded the ship I was met with the familiar plaque of pictures of commanding officers. The men and women in the pictures were not familiar to me, but my father and mother's faces once hung in similar plaques. There in the bay were all sorts of military vehicles that I was familiar with ... the smell ... the sights ... all reminded me of my childhood. Tanks, helicopters, HumVs, the slight aroma of grease and sweat, men and women in uniform ... nostalgia.

The group from Jane Franklin Hall.

My favorite man.

1 comment:

gina said...

What a great experience! Glad to see you blogging again, even if it's just for a little while. (translation: no pressure!)maybe you were just boycotting until Laura came?? ha.